Subject: Re: ZIP_DRIVE & AMIGA
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: Doug Peters <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 18:40:51 -0400 (EDT)

> YES!  My friend has a 4000 (w/SCSI-2 card) and he did have a little
> trouble recognizing it at first because it was formatted for Mac machines.
> I can find out what he did to get it recognized so that he could format it
> for Amigas, if you want. 

Thanks for all the info.  I think the Zip drive was screwed up, since my 
friends IBM wouldn't read it either.  I'm going to try another friends 
Zip that he got a few days ago.

The main reason I ask is beacuse I want to get a Jaz drive, and since 
they're both form the same company, I'm willing to bet that if the Zip 
works, so will the Jaz.

> > I don't think the Parellel version will work until someone writes driver 
> > software for the Amiga.  Parellel port disk drives are not exactly a 
> > standard thing...  Anyone want to undertake this?
> 
> Why would anyone?  The Parallel version is slow and I would consider it a
> big hassle to use a Zip drive on a parallel port because you are tying up 
> a good usable port for accessing a 100MB Disk with almost the exact speed
> of a floppy.

The reason I asked THAT is beacuse sometimes it's easier to find an IBMer 
with a Zip so you can borrow it for a bit.  I'd prefer SCSI, myself, but 
I'll use what i can find. :)

> On another note, I wonder if this would've been more appropriate if sent
> to the Toaster List.  I know that the ZIP Drive is becoming a welcome
> addition to DTV and DTP professionals' (as well as amatuers like
> me) arsenals in order to provide portability and accomadate budgets of
> both business/hobbyist and client/friend, but NO ONE has ever passed me a
> 3D Object that I didn't get off of the net.  

Actually, I'll probobly be transfering many more LW-rendered images and 
complex scenes and objects than Toaster files (don't think anything 
longer than a 30-second or 1 minute Flyer clip'll fit on a sinlge Zip).  
Just imagine the guys with the Voyager -- I'd hate to use Floppies for a 
300000 polygon ship and 18-megs of images, myself... But, then again, 
they have a really big Alpha network... :)

Thanks again...

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]